Monday, September 13, 2010

Fashion Debate: Why Do People Hate Uggs?


I think I just puked in my mouth a little.



I hate crocs with a passion. Every time I see a pair on someone, I imagine myself yanking them from their feet and placing them in the nearest garbage.

"They're so comfortable!" my brother will say. And I will cringe.

I've never worn a pair, so I can't attest to their comfort, but the first time my friends and I saw a pair being worn on our college campus, we instantly nicknamed them schloggers and vowed to never wear a pair. I am happy to say we have all kept this promise.

On the scale of ugly shoes, crocs takes my top spot, but I honestly don't understand the problem people have and have had for years with Uggs. They were "out" at least 5 years ago, but they're still around, aren't they?

"They're called Uggs because they're so ugly." Yeah, I've heard that a million times. Are they really that ugly? I mean, they're not a sexy pair of heels, but how often are cold climate boots attractive? I guess if you wear them in 90 degree weather with a mini, then I can see the dislike that grows in people's stomachs, but I don't live in an area where that is an issue. I live here:

 

Yeah, that is literally a picture of the hay field across the street from my house in the dead of winter. We get a ridiculous amount of snow in Western NY and the temps aren't so great either.

I'm tired of the Ugg hatred. I own a pair and several pairs of knockoffs all in neutral shades of brown, gray, and black. Don't hate. I don't walk around wearing them, thinking I'm a trendsetter. I walk around wearing them thinking how my feet are the only part of my body that is actually warm. 

Point of this post is that sometimes fashion isn't about the look, but shockingly about the practicality of a piece. You can tell me that crocs are comfortable, but I will never believe you. You probably won't believe me when I say I don't find Uggs to be a terrible fashion trend. Well, maybe that one pair

Wtf Jimmy Choo?



2 comments:

Wildfell Hall Vintage said...

hilarious, I have the croc argument every time I visit a dear friend, I read once in Real Simple magazine they make great planters when you turn them upside down...

vintage rings said...

Very well written post. I just read your post and found it informative & useful for me. Buckets of thanks to you!