Monday, February 28, 2011

MOD: Phoebe in Wonderland

Still trying to figure out how to write these mini reviews/feelings towards the flick of the week, so let's go with simple this week.



What I liked: The kids. Fanning was both adorable and heartbreaking. She really ran the movie and did a great job without coming off as too cutesy, which is a problem I have with a lot of films featuring a kiddo as a main character.

I loved the little boy who wanted to be the Queen of Hearts and I love any movie with a quirky little sister that is a baby genius. Her going as Karl Marx for Halloween and being offended that no one knew who she was=amazing.

What I didn't like: The adults. I really didn't like any of the adults in this movie. I couldn't believe a Dad would say that to his little child when he says the thing about could the Mom have another kid that turned out like she did. That was dick.

The Mom was annoying and I usually like Felicity Huffman. She was so self-centered in the thoughts that her daughter's mental condition was obviously a result of something she was doing. Lady, get your kid some help.

I didn't even like the drama teacher who was supposed to be the most likeable in the movie. She was so aloof that it bordered on weird for me.

I thought the most likable of the lot was the principal who I think we were supposed to hate. Then again I'm partial to Campbell Scott, so that's likely clouding my judgement.

One Sentence Review: A sad movie with a hopeful ending that was most powerful when kids were the stars of a scene and nearly unbearable to watch when adults were.

Possible Questions for Discussion:
  1. Who did you most idenify with in the movie?
  2. Were you as annoyed by the behavior of the adults as I was or am I being too harsh?

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check later today for this week's flick pick. Leave comments below with your thoughts on the movie or feel free to pose your own questions. You can do a similar format or blaze your own discussion format trail. Speak!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha i like your review on the adults.
cute movie!

Pamela said...

Elle Fanning was amazing. I have worked with children with mental illness, and she was spot.on.

The adults sucked a lot. But I think that was the point.

And I really tried to watch this on time, and look at me, almost a month late. God I suck.